Here’s the my brief re-cap of this years Grammy awards ceremony.
- U2 kicks the show off with their newest single “Get On Your Boots” off of the new album No Line on the Horizon.
- Al Green, Keith Urban, Justin Timberlake and Boyz II Men perform together. Boyz II Men playing backup? WTF? Didn’t Boyz II Men release a Motown revival type record this year? Just sayin’ why have them do vocal backing when they did an album of these jams this year. Wack. I was actually watching the pre-Grammy show and it was reported that Chris Brown and Rihanna were no longer atttending, seems that Chris Breezy got himself into a little trouble the night before and is under investigation for an alleged assault. So to fill the time slot I believe this performance was slotted in place last second.
- Coldplay performed “Lost+”. Set starts off with Chris Martin at piano solo and later joined by Jay-Z to spit his verse. Chris cuts that song and goes to the stage and the rest of the band appears and they perform “Viva La Vida”.
- Carrie Underwood performs and to be quite honest I couldn’t hear a thing because all I could do was stare at her incredible legs. Straight up them shits was plain breathtaking.
- Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus perform together. Taylor Swift, clearly has talent. Miley on the other hand not so much. I pretty much thought she was horrible and is it me or does anybody else think she sounds like a man?
- Jonas Brothers perform with…Stevie Wonder??? WTF? This was probably the second worst performance of the night for me coming in right behind Miley.
- One of the performances of the night for me was “Swagger Like Us” with T.I., Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Jay-Z and a very pregnant M.I.A. The performance started off with M.I.A. doing a verse of “Paper Planes”, the sample of which “Swagger Like Us” came from. When she hit the words “…swagger like us”, out appeared the four gentlemen above. M.I.A.’s outfit choice was really really weird, but I guess her style has alway been out there that and add to the fact that she was due to give birth that very day.
- Paul McCartney featuring Dave Grohl from the Foo Fighters on the drums. Performing The Beatles “I Saw Her Standing There”, but Ringo Starr was not to be found on stage.
- Radiohead performance with the USC Trojans Marching band backing, probably one of the better performances of the night for sure.
- T.I. and Justin Timberlake perform “Dead and Gone”
- The Grammys honor and remember Motown legends The Four Tops, doing a medley of songs were Smokie Robinson, Ne-Yo, Jamie Foxx and remaining member of The Four Tops, Duke Fakir.
- Jennifer Hudson wins Best R&B album of the year. Raphael Saadiq could’ve won this as well in my opinion, but she deserves it as well.
- Song of the year went to Coldplay for their song “Viva La Vida”.
- This was kind of a “WTF?” moment for me. Best Pop collaboration went to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. Although the nominees for the category did seem a bit weak.
- Blink 182 members come out together to announce they’re coming back to do work as well as presenting the Best Rock album, which went to Coldplay.
- Best New Artist award went to Adele.
- In another “WTF?” moment, Record of the year went to Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. On the real, it beat out some deep competition.
- Best Rap Album went to Lil Wayne for Tha Carter III.
One of my favorite moments was during the interview stage on the red carpet. Not sure how many of you caught the E! interviews, but there was a moment where they caught up with T-Pain and he more or less admitted how wack his rhymes are. That was pretty awesome.
See a complete list of winners on www.grammy.com, the actual TV airing didn’t show that many.
Image: Getty Images